This is a great recipe for entertaining or a playful dessert. It’s so simple and cheap to make also. This is one of my personal favourites when it comes to desserts.
Oil for deep frying
25g Brown sugar
Pinch of salt
100g White flour
1 Vanilla pod
Ground cinnamon to taste
Preheat your deep fat fryer of a pot of oil being very careful with the heat.
- 1. In a pot boil the water, brown sugar, salt, and butter.
- 2. Remove from the heat and add the flour until it is well blended.
- 3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and the seeds of the vanilla together and then add this mixture to the flour mixture. Mix well. (You can use vanilla extract but it is not advisable for optimum flavour)
- 4. Fill a piping bag with the mixture, preferably with a star nozzle.
- 5. When the oil is hot pipe in the churros mix one by one approximately 3-5inches in length.
- 6. Cook for about a minute and turn them over with a slotted spoon. Cook for an additional minute or two. Once golden brown they are ready!
- 7. Immediately remove the churros onto paper towel and dab all the oil off.
- 8. When they are still hot put them into a bowl with the sugar and the amount of cinnamon you require. (The sugar cinnamon mix should already be made by now)
- 9. Toss them well giving an even coating.
- 10. Now you can use your imagination for what you serve with these but how about caramel sauce, whipped vanilla cream or even a chocolate fountain if you want to really impress!