Passionfruit profiteroles with Cointreau chocolate sauce
Making profiteroles has always fascinated me, such affordable and simple ingredients. They are also reasonably quick to make you just have to be careful with the baking.
Ingredients – Makes approximately 30 small
200ml cold water
4 Teaspoon caster sugar
85g Unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
115g Plain flour
3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
1 Vanilla pod
100g caster sugar
Optional passionfruit sauce
300g palm oil free chocolate for melting
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
- 2. Place the water, sugar and butter into a large saucepan. Heat gently until the butter has melted.
- 3. Add the flour and a pinch of salt then stir briskly until you have a smooth paste then remove from the heat.
- 4. Once the mixture comes away from the side of the pan, transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 5. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, until the mixture is smooth and glossy and has a soft dropping consistency.
- 6. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Pipe small disks on to the sheet according to the size you require, they rise by about three times the size.
- 7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden-brown - if the profiteroles are too pale they will become soggy when cooled.
- 8. When they have cooled down pipe in cream that has been lightly whipped with sugar and vanilla pods.
- 9. Finish with melted chocolate and passionfruit sauce.