Ingredients, serves 8-10
1kg Pears (under ripe is fine)
2 Cups of sugar
Water to cover
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Star Anise
For the topping:
2 cups Flour
1 cup Desiccated coconut
1 cup Sliced Almonds
1 cup Sugar
5 teaspoons powdered cinnamon
- 1. Peel and place diced pears into the water and sugar which include the cinnamon stick and star anise then simmer until the pears are tender.
- 2. Strain the liquid reserving as much as you like to gain the correct consistency. Set aside in the dish you wish to bake in.
- 3. Using the rubbing in method combine the flour and COLD, DICED butter to a breadcrumb consistency.
- 4. Now add in the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- 5.Toast this in a hot oven until just the point when they are becoming darker. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 6. 30 minutes before you need it heat up the fruit in the oven and when they are very hot add on the topping until it becomes golden brown.
- 7. Remove and finish with some icing sugar.
- 8. Serve with your favourite ice cream.