Hot Smoked Salmon, Broccoli and Lemon Risotto
This recipe was the recipe created for the demonstration at Hobsonville Market using The Salmon Man’s garlic smoked salmon along with other ingredients from the market stalls. It was a special demonstration as I ran a fundraiser for Bring Lily Home campaign for the little baby born premature and stuck in China. Eventually the money was rasied, the little girl got home and she is now doing well!
Ingredients – serves 4 easily
1.3litres Vegetable stock
150ml Vegetable oil or butter
75g White onion, finely diced
3 Garlic cloves, crushed2 Jumbo carrots, peeled and finely diced
250g Arborio rice
200ml White wine
2 Lemons zested and juiced
½ head broccoli cut into small florets
300g Hot smoked salmon
50g Dill, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a pot heat up the vegetable stock to just under boiling point.
2. In a separate large pot or even a non-stick wok as I sometimes use, add your oil or butter and allow to warm slightly before adding the diced onion, garlic and carrots.
3. When they have softened add the rice and cook until the rice becomes translucent (a little see through) and the fat has been absorbed.
4. Add the white wine and reduce almost completely. Now add a ladle of the vegetable stock.
5. Continue adding another ladle of stock after each previous one is totally absorbed.
6. When you are half way through this add the broccoli florets. After 1 more ladle add the salmon and lemon zest.
7. Keep going with this process until the rice has become soft but not completely mushy and overcooked. You may not need all the stock.
8. Add the lemon juice and then finish with mascarpone and dill. Season to taste.