Great combination of Mediterranean flavours combined and flavoured with what we called a gastric, which is a sugar and vinegar concoction which excels tomato based sauces. This is a great sauce/veg to accompany a pan fried soft white fish like snapper.
100g Red capsicums
100g Yellow capsicums
100g Green capsicums
100g Red onion
50g Red chilli
200ml Red wine or sherry vinegar
200g Brown sugar
50ml Vegetable oil
100g Tomato paste
1kg Crushed tined tomatoes
- 1. Slice all the capsicums into batons, slice the red onion and then julienne the garlic and red chilli into thin strips.
- 2. In a pot combine the vinegar and sugar bring to the heat to make sure the sugar is fully dissolved. (Ths is called a gastric)
- 3. Pick all the leaves from the rosemary and thyme then chop finely.
- 4. In a pot big enough to fit all the ingredients add a little oil (a canola or other vegetable oil) with all the capsicums, chilli, garlic and red onion.
- 5. When they become tender and coloured slightly add the tomato paste and fry again.
- 6. Add the gastric and tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil and reduce by ¼.
- 7. Finish by adding the rosemary and thyme and mixing in.