I love cooking the less well known cuts sometimes. You’ll find you get an amazing result, slow cook these and you’ll be in heaven. They are so tender and will just melt in your mouth as you eat it.
1kg Pork Cheeks
1 Stick celery
2 Cloves garlic
500ml Red wine
Freshly made pork or chicken stock to cover
- 1. Roughly chop all vegetable and herbs.
- 2. In a large pan fry all the vegetables in oil until well coloured.
- 3. Remove from the pan and set them into a deep tray deep enough to easily fit the pork cheeks in.
- 4. Put the pan back on the stove without cleaning until smoking hot and sear the pork cheeks until again they are well coloured. Put the cheeks on top of the vegetables.
- 5. Replace the pan onto the stove again and deglaze* with red wine.
- 6. Add the red wine and chicken stock to the pan so the pork is just covered.
- 7. Tin foil the tray completely so there are no gaps in the top.
- 8. Cook in a medium oven for approx 3-4 hours or until the pork has become tender.
- 9. When it is complete set the pork aside until required. Reduce the sauce further and pass through a fine sieve squashing the vegetables through also. (These act as a thickener)
- 10. When you are happy with the consistency and flavour of the sauce it is ready. You may choose to add cornflour.
* Deglaze is a method of having a fry pan of flavours cooked and then adding a liquid to remove the flavours from the pan to the liquid.