This is a great entree or canape. It is also a move away from the typical pork bellies with crispy skin and in big blocks. It will be creamy and have a great sweet and sour taste and a deep colour.
Miso Pork Makes 1kg
650g Pork Belly
170g Miso Paste
30g English mustard
30g wholegrain mustard
30g Dijon mustard
Shichimi Spice makes 300g
15g Cayenne pepper
15g Chilli powder
15g Onion powder
15g Garlic powder
30g Black sesame seeds
30g White sesame seeds
100g Brown sugar
7g Sichuan pepper
7g Ground coriander
For the Spice:
Toast the sesame seeds, cool and then combine all the ingredients together. Keep in a dry environment.
For the Pork:
- 1. In a bowl large enough to fit all the ingredients including the pork mix the mustard and honey.
- 2. When well combined mix in the miso paste. (You can use light or dark depending on your taste)
- 3. Unlike other pork belly dishes remove the skin completely. (For this recipe you can discard or separately you can make crackling)
- 4. Marinate the pork for between 2 and 24 hours.
- 5. When ready to be cooked wipe off the marinade with your hands. (Do not use a cloth as you want some of the marinade to remain.)
- 6. Place the pork onto a cooling rack and then onto a tray.
- 7. Put the tray in the oven on 180°C for about an hour or cooked all the way through.
- 8. Cool and set aside until ready to serve.
- 1. Slice the pork to about 4x4cm squares and about 2-3cm in thickness.
- 2. Cook in a frying pan with a splash of oil until crispy and well coloured on both sides.
- 3. Serve as canapés or 8 pieces as a starter sprinkled with the spice mix.