Salami and Olive Broth
Cooked at Hobsonville Farmer’s Market on Sunday 8th September, Salash’s mild salami was the highlight of the dish which is perfect for most of the year as a full flavoured delicious broth.
Ingredients – Serves at Least 4
100ml vegetable oil
500g Salash Mild Salami, and diced to approx. 1.5cmx15cm
1 onion diced to approx. 1.5cmx1.5cm
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 carrots peeled, and diced to approx. 1.5cmx15cm
1 celery stalk diced to approx. 1.5cmx15cm
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
100ml red wine
1 can 400g chopped tomatoes
400ml chicken stock
100g Olives (your choice but with no pips)
125g Buffalo mozzarella
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g chopped parsley
Your choice of bread, artisan is best!
1. You just need two pans for this recipe, a deep frying pan and a shallow one.
2. Heat the oil evenly between the two pans, in one add the salami and cook slowly to allow all the juices to come out of it, in the other fry the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and chilli.
3. When the salami has become a rich dark red colour add the red wine then combine everything including the oil in the salami pan into the deep frying pan with the vegetables inside.
4. Instantly add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock.
5. Put the lid on and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Next to finish add the olives just too warm through and serve family style in a large dish.
7. In the large dish add the mozzarella just before serving by ripping into pieces and this will just perfectly melt the cheese.
8. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and served with your favourite bread.